accueil ville de Brou
English visitors

Places to visit

Recreational Park

Parc de Loisirs



Brou au quotidien


25 Avril
Pluies faibles
Pluies faibles
5 °C
26 Avril
Dégagé
Dégagé
8 °C
27 Avril
Nuageux
Nuageux
7 °C
28 Avril
Dégagé
Dégagé
9.6 °C
29 Avril
Dégagé
Dégagé
11.2 °C
30 Avril
Pluies modérées
Pluies modérées
11.7 °C
01 Mai
Nuageux
Nuageux
11.7 °C

labels labels
UCIA Brou
Mairie
1 pl Hôtel de ville
28160 BROU
tél. 02 37 47 07 85
contact@brou28.com

cg28.fr


 29/04/2017
Parcours du coeur
 29/04/2017
Fishing tour 28 - Base de Loisirs de Brou - Bateau ou Float-Tube uniquement - inscriptions auprès de l'AAPPMA de Brou
 Du 29/04/2017 au 30/04/2017
Championnat Départemental de Badminton (Bad Brou) salle des sports
 06/05/2017
Journée Truites (AAPPMA) etang de la gare 8h-17h30
 12/05/2017
Conférence filmée "la Norvège" - Peuples et Images (salle des fêtes) à 14h30
 Du 14/05/2017 au 15/05/2017
Cinémobile


Places to visit


Heritage
Markets
Floral displays
Office de Tourisme Intercommunal
Accommodation
Walks



Heritage

The origins of Brou
Located in a transition region that joins the Beauce and Perche, Brou soon became a place of active trade. The Wednesday market, already established is mentioned before 1200. The city still surrounded by its moat underwent a transformation in the sixteenth century, houses with carved woodwork being built, and the church being enlarged. Without historical evidence, tradition ascribes this work to the generosity of Florimond Robertet, Secretary of State to both King Louis XII and King Francis I, the Baron of Brou from 1509 to 1527.
Brou has a rich past, of which only a few vestiges remain. The Guillaume Gouet Château and its fortifications have disappeared. Of the Saint Romain village, apart from the fortified enclosure, nothing remains except some walls of the church, no doubt from the 12th century. At Saint Romain Priory only a few walls of the chapel remain. The suburb of Saint-Jean, again apart from the walls, had a priory of which the chapel is still visible. There still remain the church of Saint-Lubin, the Saint-Marc chapel and a few half-timbered houses.


Brou’s coat of arms
armoiriesAzure belt on a sable demi vol accompanied by three gold stars, one in chief and two in base, having towers as a crest, an oak branch on one side and bay leaves on the other, as heraldic ornaments, such were the arms of Florimond Robertet. In 1913, the City Council adopted this coat of arms, which now forms part of the City Council’s seal.


The Church of Saint-Lubin
église saint lubinIt is likely that the construction of the church of Saint-Lubin goes back to the twelfth century, like most churches in the region. It has a Romanesque apse. It was enlarged in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries with an aisle and a transept. In 1620, the Abbot Bourdoise, clerical reformer and local son, built the vestry. In 1813, the steeple was struck by lightning, causing a fire. The wooden spire, 30 metres high, was replaced with a square tower in1822.
The oak furniture dates from the late eighteenth century.
There are numerous statues and pictures, including a multi-coloured wooden statue attributed to Roscoet. A large painting in the south chapel illustrates the institution of the Rosary (1623). Note the beautiful keystone with its double arches in the chapel of the Holy Sacrament


Place de la Nation
This is situated on the former site of the castle (or fort) mentioned in charters of the second half of the eleventh century.
The town of Brou, located in the Perche Gouet, would have fallen within the domain of Clovis granted in the seventh century to the abbey of Saint-Père in the valley of Chartres. In the ninth century, a bishop would have granted its defence and enjoyment to armed men who helped him to repel Vikings who attacked Chartres.
These overlords fortified the sites in the eleventh century, by means of a fort and its courtyard built on the site of the present Place de la Nation and the Jules Verne School. These were then surrounded by ditches, access being allowed by gates and bridges.
It was in this period that the five sites of Brou, Alluyes, The Bazoche-Gouet, Authon du Perche and Montmirail were brought together under the authority of the lord William Gouet. Was it he who built the Castle at Brou €
In 1589, the soldiers of Henry of Navarre, later King Henry IV, laid siege to Brou, which was in the hands of the League. This is where the castle would have been bombarded. The town capitulated and was made to pay a ransom.
At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the castle became first the Place de le Basse Cour and then the Place de la Nation.


chapelle saint marc
La Chapelle Saint-Marc

This has the remains of an apse, restored in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Now abandoned, it serves as the local Intercommunity Tourist Office for the Perche-Gouet region.





maison de bois
The wooden framed house (Historical Monument)

The wooden house features some fine specimens of the flora of the fifteenth century. On the pillars and a projection can be seen sculptures of vines with branches, leaves of burdock and thistles with occasional pine cones and a few bunches of grapes.
This house also features a large Gothic doorway with a pointed arch ornamented with fine coils and leaves and a delicately carved running frieze. On top of the portal, a shield, damaged but still visible, is supported by two porcupines.




maison de l'isleLa Maison de l’Isle ou Grande Maison
Located on the Chateaudun road, this building has remained the property of the Delorme family for over two centuries, including Pierre Delorme (1622-1695), lawyer and bailiff of Brou. Successive restorations have been undertaken since the eighteenth century.


La Place des Halles
At first a wooden hall, constructed before 1368, this building was 50m long, 25m wide and 17m high, more than twice the size of the current Hall. From the late twelfth century, Wednesday has always been market day in Brou. The Hall provides a covered market for cereals, meat products and woven materials made in the region.
In 1846 a stone building was erected with more modest dimensions. From the beginning of the century to 1940, the market for calves, important event in the local area, made Brou famous for its Hall.
la halle
Today, the market is always held on Wednesday, in the Hall, and dominates the town centre. In winter, the Hall is home to the Sunday morning market, which moves up to the Matrassière Square on sunny days.


No. 1 Rue des Changes (Historical Monument)
n°1 rue des changes détail
The Credit Agricole bank occupies the remains of a house in Brou restored in recent years under the supervision of the Bâtiments de France. It has an interesting frontage with motifs that include a pilgrim and a Saint-Jacques shell.


Rue des Changes
The present name of la "Grande Rue", according to 18th century legal archives, came into force from 1836.


L’Hotel de Ville (Town Hall)
On the initiative of Mr. Baudin, first mayor of the 3rd Republic, plans for the construction of the building were entrusted to Vaillant, architect, in 1884. In January 1885, the City Council approved the draft. The first stone was laid on May 2, 1886 by Mr. Hubert. One year later, the Town Hall was inaugurated.
hotel de ville

salle du conseil municipalIn the City Council Chamber there is a painting entitled "The Fair", a copy by Roppart in the style of Rubens, and a sculpture called "The departure of the swallows" by Felix Charpentier. The original plaster work, dated 1893, was given in 1925 to the town of Brou by the sculptor’s widow. Brou also owes to the same artist the war memorial, dated 1921.


Washhouses
Brou has several washhouses built in the late nineteenth century.
There are four public ones; two of them, on Rue Saint-Jean and the Mill promenade, respectively, are fed by the Saint-Jean and Saint-Nicolas fountains, and the other two are located on the Ozanne: on the road to Vaugelan and the rue des Lavoirs.
lavoirs


The houses along the river have the distinction of having a private washhouse.








Operation Heart of the Village
An operation called Heart of the Village has enabled the town of Brou to develop several central areas. The aim of this project has been to improve people’s living environment in a spirit of sustainable development. Water is the central thread of this development.
place de la matrassière

Matrassière Square, decorated with plants, has been enhanced with a cascading fountain, This parking area is now a recreation area with new street furniture and the start of a walk "Follow the water".

passage éclairé Starting from the first fountain, it goes imaginatively along a covered passageway over luminous slabs of blue resin that give the effect of a stream. The "Water Passageway" is a great place to relax among varied and colourful plants, listening to the sound of a waterfall mural created with enamel from Briare. The creation of this passage assists pedestrians to progress towards Dauphin Square, where jets of water lead the walkers to the river Ozanne flowing down below.


"The Water Passageway"
Situated between the streets of the Hotel de Ville and La Chevalerie, the covered walkway is in line with the overall renovation of the town centre and offers new services.
Housed in a former car dealer’s premises acquired by the town in 2002, the water passageway has helped open up Matrassière Square and encourage travel on foot in the town centre. Designed around the theme of water, this walkway is also a place where pedestrians can relax.
Passage au fil de l'eau façade  Passage Au fil de l'eau
Upstairs, the passage takes on a different aspect. Indeed, a social area and other services are provided. There are two conditions of use: for users, it enables them to centralize their activities in a specific place, whereas speakers can more easily make contacts and exchanges. Accessible to disabled people, this area brings together the various activities required in Brou with regard to employment, welfare and administration.


revenir en haut de page


Markets

The Wednesday market
Since the late twelfth century, Wednesday has been market day in Brou.
So it took place then in a wooden hall built before 1368, measuring more than double the present hall, which offers a covered market for cereals, meat products and woven goods made in the region.
The present smaller Hall was built in stone in 1846. From the beginning of the century to 1940, the markets for calves and for poultry, major events in the area, made Brou’s Hall famous.
marché place du dauphinmarché aux volaillesToday, the market dominates the town centre.
And if over the years, the reputation and popularity of the Brou market have lasted, it is also thanks to seasonal events organised by regular and occasional traders.

marché dimanche

The Sunday Market
A market is held every Sunday morning in the hall during winter and the Matrassière Square on sunny days.


The evening markets
Two markets take place in the evenings during summer. Handicraft and local products, in addition to more traditional stalls, all within the Place des Halles.

revenir en haut de page


Floral displays

The most attractive floral sites shown in photos
revenir en haut de page


Office de Tourisme Intercommunal

Office de Tourisme

 

Hours of opening

May 1 to September 30

  • Tuesday - Saturday : 10 am - 12.15 am and 3 pm - 6.15 pm
  • Sunday : 10 am - 12 am (May 1 to August 31)

October 1 to April 31

  •  Tuesday - Saturday : 10 am - 12 am and 3 pm - 6 pm
 

Office de tourisme

 

  rue de la Chevalerie – 28160 Brou
  Tel/Fax : 02 37 47 01 12
  e-mail : otsi.brou.28@wanadoo.fr
  site internet : www.perchegouet.com

 
 

 


revenir en haut de page


Accommodation

Hotel

LE PLAT D’ETAIN
15 place des Halles - 28160 Brou
Tel : 02 37 96 05 65
e-mail : leplatdetain@wanadoo.fr
Website : http://www.leplatdetain.fr


Furnished accommodation

 

LE PETIT BROU
2/3 persons
Contact : Claudine SOULIE
62 avenue du Général de Gaulle - 28160 Brou
Tel : 02 37 47 02 33

LE PONT MOUSSON
4 people ; Holiday keys : 3 keys
2 Avenue Pont Mousson - 28160 Brou
Tel : 02 37 84 01 02 (tel. exchange)


Cottages

2 people ; Gîte de France
Contact : Réjane Raimbert
6 Avenue du Général Leclerc - 28160 Brou
Tel : 02 37 47 16 40


Cottage Group

DOMAINE DE LA TREMBLAYE
50 beds – reception rooms
Contact : M. et Mme Lumbroso
Tel : 02 37 47 04 65
Website : www.domainedelatremblaye.fr


Public Camping Site

PARC DE LOISIRS
2 star
146 caravan sites (residential) + 35 (tourist)
40 mobile home sites
4 chalets
Route des Moulins - 28160 Brou
Tel : 02 37 47 02 17
e-mail : parcdeloisirs@brou28.com
Website : parc-loisirs-brou.fr

revenir en haut de page


Walks

Ozanne Footpath
Walking tour

5 km
Level : easy
Download

Les Bois de la Cochardière
MTB tour
17 km
Level : easy
Download

Walking tour
14 km
Details available at the local tourist office

Les Bois de Mottereau
MTB tour
30 km
Level : Difficult
Download

Le Grand Parc
MTB tour

45 km
Level : very difficult
Download

For further information :  www.123randonnee.fr


revenir en haut de page